Alterations to the A1 Craighall junction including formation of new slip roads, an underpass, retaining wall, roundabout, foot and cycle paths, and SuDS ponds.
Construction of a grade separated junction in Scotland including:
- New northbound slip-road to the A1,
- New off slip-road from the A1 northbound carriageway which meets a newly constructed roundabout, providing arms to a future development area
- Link road to the existing junction at Queen Margaret University
The new link road passes beneath the A1 within a new precast portal frame structure with a minimum headroom of 5.3m and internal clear span of 15.6m.
The existing A1 carriageway has in excess of 30,000 AADT, thus requiring an extensive temporary traffic management and work sequencing to be implemented to enable and ensure the safe delivery of the project. 3D visualisation was adopted to aid construction sequencing and buildability.
Extensive liaison with East Lothian Council, Transport Scotland, Bear Scotland, Queen Margaret University, Persimmon Homes, BT Openreach, Scottish Power and local landowners is required throughout the works to ensure minimum disruption to road users and surrounding neighbours during the construction works.
- Alterations to the A1 Craighall junction including formation of new slip roads, an underpass, retaining wall, roundabout, foot and cycle paths and SuDS ponds
- Demolition, site clearance and utility diversions
- Extensive temporary traffic management and work sequencing
- Extensive liaison with stakeholders to ensure minimum disruption to road users and surrounding neighbours during the construction works.
- Advanced footway and carriageway temporary diversions
- Construction of reinforced concrete retaining walls including portal foundations
- Construction of a 15.6m clear span precast portal structure under the existing A1 dual carriageway
- Environmental mitigation works including the construction of noise barriers
- 3D visualisation is being adopted to aid construction sequencing and buildability
East Lothian Council
Project DetailsContract Value: