Advance enabling works and construction of a new HVDC converter station at Great Island, Wexford which is part of the Siemens Energy and Sumitomo Electric EPC contract for the 500MW Greenlink Interconnector project.
The project involves the enabling works package for Siemens Energy as well as the construction of a new HVDC converter station at Great Island, Wexford. This is part of the Siemens Energy and Sumitomo Electric EPC contract for the 500MW Greenlink Interconnector project. The convertor station is made up of a converter hall, two DC Halls, a control building, AC yard, transformer bases, CWC cooler area, and a tail station which allows the electricity to be connected back to the national grid.
The new converter station, tail station and MV substation will provide a new grid connection between the existing substation and the UK National Grid’s Pembroke substation in South Wales. This will allow power to flow in either direction depending on supply and demand in each country. The converter station will convert electricity from alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) and vice versa to enable the electricity to be efficiently transmitted between the countries.
The enabling works package included the construction of a new access road, new converter station platform, which included extensive bulk earthworks and ground stabilisation, drainage and attenuation, primary service connections, security fencing, and landscaping works.
The CSA works are comprised of concrete foundations and floor slabs, structural steel installation, and roofing and cladding.
- Enabling works including converter station platform construction, and bulk earthworks utilising cement stabilisation techniques
- Construction of a HVDC converter station, providing a new grid connection between Ireland and the UK
- CSA works include concrete foundations, floor slabs, structural steel installation, roofing and cladding
- Primary service connections
- New access road, security fencing, and hard and soft landscaping
Project DetailsContract Value: