Design, construction and fitout of a 280-bed student accommodation and mixed-used development within a five and part six storey building on Washington Street in Cork.
The Broga House development is a combined new build and heritage project in Cork city centre comprising a new a 280-bed student accommodation facility.
We were responsible for the design and construction of the project, along with a full fitout of the apartments and studios, gym, private dining rooms, café, and library. The apartments, arranged in clusters of five to eight beds, are spread over four new blocks ranging in height from four to six storeys, and boast a compact and modern layout, bright interiors along with modern shared living/kitchen/dining spaces.
The development also includes 12 spacious single studio apartments built in the newly renovated “Square Deal” heritage structure. All original features of the landmark building were carefully restored, including the original brick and stone façade features, with extensive modernisation of the internal fitout. The ground floor of the existing building now comprises of a state-of-the-art gym, private dining area, games rooms, lounges and study areas for students’ use. The development benefits from two large internal courtyards situated between the old and new structures with outdoor dining areas, bike stores and modern hard and soft landscaping. Both new and existing buildings have a building management system with integrated security systems including access control and CCTV.
Working in collaboration with the developer and facility operator, extensive off-site construction methods were utilised to drive efficiency across all elements of the project lifecycle such as safety, programme, quality and cost. Items manufactured off-site included precast elements such as external wall panels, floors and stairs, bathroom pods, and the heating system. These techniques contributed directly to the high standards of sustainable construction on the project, with the development achieving BREEAM “Excellent” rating.
The site’s location on Washington Street, in the heart of Cork city, presented complex logistical challenges which required extensive interaction and planning with Cork County Council on conservation strategies for the existing building, street works as well as drainage and utility connections.
- Design, build and fitout of a 280-bed student accommodation facility comprising 50 student apartments
- Restoration and reconfiguration of a two and three storey brick-fronted listed building
- Student facilities include gym, private dining rooms, games room, study areas, café, and library
- Two large internal courtyards situated between the old and new structures with outdoor dining areas, bike stores and modern landscaping
- Both new and existing buildings include a building management system with integrated security system
- Restricted brownfield city centre site with complex logistics
- BREEAM "Excellent" rating
Round Hill Capital
O’Mahony Pike Architects
Malachy Walsh & Partners
Project DetailsContract Value: